Sunday, March 3, 2013

Pursuing Health

Leave it to my sister to make me want to start writing again.  She is so inspirational.  Her blog, here, about her time in China is just great.  And she's an excellent writer.

I'm going to stop pretending that I write on here with any kind of frequency.  And that's OK.  I'd still like to have this as a growth goal to flex my writing muscles.  But one thing at a time.  I'm currently flexing my actual muscles on a journey to health via eating better and exercising better.

No, I'm not one of those fanatical Cross-Fit people... yet.  (Looking at you Casey and Gillian!)  But I have decided to start doing some basic things like, I don't know, moving around.  And not eating entire bowls of mac and cheese every few days.  A little thing called discipline goes a long way.

There's a few things that led to my change.  First, I just felt uncomfortable.  Though I didn't look it, I was technically obese, and was breaking my pants every few months.  Yes, it's awkward.  Giant holes in the middle of your pants are typically not fun.  And it made me want to change.  Then, over the holidays I learned some family history medical-type info that made me want to fight harder for health, too.

I also had a renewed sense of purpose in life that comes with re-evaluating and setting New Year's Resolutions.  Generally I think things like "YOLO" sound silly, but the idea that "You only live once" hit me.  I'd rather my life be full of health than full of sweets, cheese and beer.  (Even though I really, really love those things.)  Putting off healthy practices until tomorrow meant I was choosing death today.  

Plus, speaking of New Year's resolutions, who can't be inspired while listening to Sleeping at Last's "January White"?!  Some lyrics for your reading pleasure:

So let's press undo.
Rearrange the old and call it new-
January White.

Every calendar is playing the same old trick:
A year will disappear, replace with counterfeit
But we'll never really mind.

If nothing else, we're given a little time
To change the game, a chance to redefine
Everything we are,
January White.

...hope is January White.

Also fueling my recent quest to lose weight & be healthier is the fact that I'm actually pretty competitive.  Tell me to make a pact to go to the gym, and if I break it I have to pay?  Then I'm completing that pact every week, suckas!  (My mentality toward GymPact, which I love.)  Give me a calorie limit, and tell me I'll lose the weight if I hit it daily?  Then I'm suddenly watching what I eat so I can shed the pounds!  (Props to MyFitnessPal.)  Tell me my group at work can win...something...if we walk more than other groups?  Then I am all over my 6 am walks again, fo' realz! (Yay Time Warner FitNation and FitBit!)

So now that I've sufficiently plugged all the ways I'm working on my health, I want to point out my final catalyst for change.  I've still yet to read the book Love Does by Bob Goff.  But just the title and the premise - Love.  Does. - is inspiring!  Love acts and moves and makes plans and goals and goes after them!  All for the good of others.

In my Discipleship Workshop at church, we do these things called "circles," which sounds super cheesy and I laugh internally every time.  But the point is that there are two sides as you "work the circle."  The first is "What is God saying to me?"  and the second is "What am I going to do about it?"  Now I realize not all my friends and readers agree with my spirituality, but I've personally found so much joy and freedom in this question and response rhythm in life.

This rhythm all year of hearing a direction or issue to deal with, and then making a plan of action (with accountability) has gotten my lazy self back into a place where I can actually do some good.  In working toward this value we call "wholeness," the small disciplines in my life have actually given me more energy & passion to pursue even more changes.

I'm so thankful for Casey who has encouraged me to just pick one small thing to work on.  I've tried and failed all year to actually cook.  (I have unresolved issues with the kitchen - to be explained later.)  But deciding to NOT order Uptown Mac & Cheese at the AH-Mazing Granville Restaurant has been a small thing that pushes me on toward health.  I've started down this road with enough small successes that maybe, just maybe, I'll actually cook a meal this quarter.  I have momentum now!

So I hope that all 4 of you reading this have time to ponder this week, "What is God saying to me?" and then are able to make some small goals.  Because you may not climb Everest tomorrow, or save all the children in slavery.  But as you start moving, and doing, you may be surprised that those goals are no longer so far out of your reach!

2 comments:

  1. You are rad. I'm so glad you are taking small steps to a bigger goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement to take small steps. You are so very RIGHT!

    ReplyDelete